Car Accident Compensation – Sydney Personal Injury Lawyers
Car Accident Compensation A Guide For People Who Have Lost A Relative In A Motor Vehicle Accident.
When you lose a close relative as a result of a car accident you may be able to claim financial compensation under the Compensation to Relatives Act 1897. Under this Act a close relative includes a wife, husband, de facto partner, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, or a parent or child of the person who has died in the motor vehicle accident.
Even though it is hard to think about financial compensation when you are grieving it is important that any claim for financial compensation is made within six months of the date of the motor vehicle accident otherwise your claim may be refused.
To ensure that you are able to claim financial compensation there are a number of things you need to do including:-
- Making sure that the motor vehicle accident is reported to the police in writing.
- Obtaining the registration number of the vehicle that caused the accident and finding out who the Compulsory Third Party (“CTP”) Insurer is for that vehicle.
- Completing and lodging a Motor Accident Compensation to Relatives Form with the CTP Insurer within six months of the date of the accident.
To make a successful claim for financial compensation you will need to demonstrate that your relative was not completely at fault for the accident. You will still be entitled to financial compensation even if your relative was partly at fault such as not wearing a seatbelt or driving under the influence of alcohol. In addition, financial compensation is not limited to drivers of motor vehicles but extends to passengers, pedestrians, motorbike riders and pillion passengers.
If your claim for financial compensation is accepted by a CTP Insurer you may be entitled to receive compensation for the following things:
The reimbursement of funeral expenses and hospital/medical expenses.
- Financial compensation for the future financial support which your relative would have provided to you except for the motor vehicle accident.
- Financial compensation for any past loss of earnings that occurred as a result of the motor vehicle accident before the loss of your relative.
- Loss of services such as those provided by a parent to a child.
At Walker Law Group, our experienced Car Accident Compensation Lawyers keep up-to-date on what is happening in the motor vehicle accident law.
We act with knowledge and expertise to help people injured in motor vehicle accidents or those who have lost loved ones in motor vehicle accidents.
We act for clients in Sydney as well as NSW to assist people injured in motor vehicle accidents. Call us to today on 1300 363 013, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your Motor Vehicle injury and your claim as soon as possible. Contact us today